View Single Post
Old 10-05-2015, 03:09 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

No, I think you're pretty close. Also, with the increase in social media, lots of people tend to gather in local/regional pages and discuss stuff. Our local Victoria page is still fairly active, with all the newbie questions and concerns.

I also see a shift in hobbyist mentality. Most seem like they're too busy to participate, and simply use online resources as a place to buy or sell items. As you mentioned, most things ever wondered about are already talked to death, and can just be referenced. I don't need to ask anything, I can use Google and find someone that already asked it.

More and more I see a "what's in it for me" thought process. Where I have annually had reef meets/swaps at my place, less and less people came because there was nothing for them in the way of adding to their collection, or profits to be made. The idea of just gathering and chatting in person with like minded people seems to be lost. This year was the last year I'll be hosting this..

I know for me, as a long time hobbyist, the hobby no longer appeals to me the way it did 10 years ago. To be honest, I can't even say I like the hobby, or at least the people in it these days.

I've dropped from all but one Facebook group (only because I own the one group) and even my participation here has mostly stopped. I suspect that after the xmas holidays, I probably won't even come here anymore.