View Single Post
Old 02-03-2018, 08:43 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
If you make yourself a DIY Pax Bellum style Chaeto reactor it will grow Chaeto like nobody's business. Powerful nutrient reduction.

Thanks for bringing this up Mindy! I have saw many of these reactor setups for sale online in packages and DIY projects. My thought was it would be good to have the chaeto contained (preventing from getting in filters and taking up less room in the sump). I guess my question is will the chaeto just grow until it hits the capacity of the container? Is it better to keep it contained for more direct light?

I went downstairs this morning after my night shift. My chaeto ball was tumbling away in the first chamber of my sump. Upon looking closer I saw that some of the stragglers made it over the baffle and in to my prefilter. Not a huge deal, that being said is this going to thin the chaeto to non existence over the next while. I want this little ball to replace my need (or provide a good complement) to carbon dosing so I don’t have to worry about chaeto. Also in my new system I want to learn from my mistakes in this 150g and not have to change total methods.

Let me know your thoughts Mindy as you have a lot more experience and exposure to different chaeto setups. I have no issues doing a DIY reactor for the chaeto of this will be effective.