View Single Post
Old 02-15-2015, 04:53 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough
Default Another noob thread with questions about skimmer

I've never used a skimmer before, so this piece of hardware is new to me and starting to get a little frustrating.
I've got an AquaC EV180 powered by a Mag 9.5. It's been running near a month on a new tank with zero bio-load. Not a popular skimmer here with Canreefers, I know. It was my first hardware purchase 2 years ago. I did some research on it and read that it was a very good skimmer, so I pulled the trigger, perhaps too early. I'm still (one month later) having a very hard time getting it tuned in. The output is 1/2" above the water line as suggested, and its sitting at about 6 inches deep in the sump on some eggcrate. The drain is directed back to the sump for now because just when I think I've got it tuned, it will overflow like crazy several minutes later. I've also added an elbow on the output. Not ideal, but I have followed AquaC's recommendations on this modification.

Is there anyone here who has experience with this skimmer and could offer some advice?

Does the fact that I have no bio-load have something to do with it?

I'm almost at the point of chucking this thing over the fence and trying another brand, which is annoying considering it cost $540. I mean seriously, I could have spent a couple hundred more and got a BK!

Thanks for your help (opinions welcome)!