View Single Post
Old 11-10-2014, 03:04 PM

Wildechild_01 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
Wardog: Cool link, thanks. I learned a few things It'll be interesting to see their findings after their little experiment.

Wildechild: Much depends on your goals. If you're looking to DIY the fixture and controller to save money... save it elsewhere.
If you just love to tinker and build stuff, wow your friends with your creative process... then DIY LED's are for you. I started my build with the thought of saving, but I bet in the end I'll have saved nada, lol But in all fairness, I've had a blast doing it and I think it's cool. That's all that matters on "my tank". I bought all the components - ledgroubuy, eBay, and other locations. I built a Jarduino controller, from scratch, but now you can buy remade controllers like the one Blue World Aquariums in Victoria makes.
Lots of knowledge here to help you build one if you want to. But don't rush the process. Understand what you're doing. It'll be much easier to diagnose and fix anything in the future.
The "hey look what i built" side of it is actually a little more of a draw than the money savings. That is probably why I want them all fancy controllable too. With my tank revitalization I am moving into automated dosing, researching a way to almost automate the water changes as well (that might be a project and a half, should have put the fish room on the other side of the basement haha), and who knows what else. So if i do take the DIY route with the lights will want to make sure down the road (if not right away) I can interface them with whatever controller/monitor I decide on, the APEX definitely being the lead choice at the moment.

As for timing, by the time i read through everything, make other related decisions with the tank, consider re-building a wall in the basement, and all that other stuff It will likely be the new year before I even start ordering material.

Tons of awesome advice already here, currently piecing my way through that thread on RC... it is huge. I'm sure i will be back with more questions, but until then keep the references and suggestions coming.