View Single Post
Old 12-02-2014, 07:15 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadod2 View Post
i currently have a 6bulb tek t5 fixture and thought about switching to LED, its just too expensive right now, if the prices came down i would do it, but then again i do have to replace the bulbs every 6-8 months on my current fixture.

would you guys just add an LED strip to the fixture and wait a few years until the LED technology gets better and more affordable?
It's almost at that point now, so you might not have long to wait. Really, it comes down to what you are wanting. If you want that POP! from the royal blue LEDs, or hate changing T5 bulbs, or want more oomph to your lighting... then maybe consider making the switch sooner than later. If you're concerned about cost, then wait it out a bit longer.

I had actually priced out a new T5 fixture for my tank (a nice ATI or Giesemann) and realized that once I bought the fixture and all the bulbs that it basically cost me the same as buying an LED fixture... but I'd never do that since I can make the darn thing! (I'm a product designer with a full machine shop at my disposal)

DIY LED fixtures have become brilliantly simple these days. If you are somewhat handy, I encourage you to look at MakersLED or LEDGroupbuy to see just how cheap you can build your own fixture. If you are super handy, I strongly encourage you to build you own! It's not too hard, it's very rewarding and you can customize it anyway you like!