View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky_Fish14 View Post
I consider myself... at least a bit above the 'average' computer user, in terms of understanding techno-lingo and abilities... but I have to agree. These controllers, profilux in particular, aren't entirely user-friendly on all their bases.

Chris
After reading a few threads here and at RC, I was a bit worried about difficulty in setup, but it was dead easy, pretty much configuring itself on the network. I plugged it into my router, used the display pad to see the IP, punched that into my browser, entered default admin and password, and away we went!
The basics are that simple again. You pick the outlet for the light, use the gui for on and off times, etc. For more complicated things, the Unofficial manual has examples that you modify for your own needs, for example, my water solenoid...OSC 15/165/0 Then ON is a simple statement that says at midnight, turn on for 15 minutes, off for 165, then repeat. This lets my topoff run 15 minutes every three hours. Pretty easy, and no computer experience required.
Gareth was over last night (from ProReef) and was impressed with his initial view of the stuff, which is pretty good, because I'm pretty sure he sleeps with some of his Profilux stuff
Overall, unless you need the profilux for something in particular, Apex is a great choice. I had one support question already re: cord lengths, and Curt, the owner, replied within an hour on a Saturday night!
All the gear I need cost about 800 after taxes, so a savings of about $600 over the Profilux. For users with less than 3 x 400w MH, you could get away with only one powerbar, for an additional savings of about $200.