View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 06:28 PM

mandyplo is on a distinguished road
Default Cloudy Greenish Tank...What's going on?

Recently our 55gal tank has had a red cyano bloom going on, which has occurred once before in the past some months ago, so this is the second time its happening. We know its from our tap water, once money situation is a little better we will be purchasing an RO/DI unit asap. We used a treatment called "RedCyano Rx" by Blue Life. In the original cyano bloom, this treatment worked within a day or two and got rid of the algae. This time, the water was slightly clouded BEFORE I started the treatment (could be from me stirring up the sandbed a little bit when cleaning the glass inside). When I started the treatment I unplugged the skimmer, as was instructed on the cyano-x box. After one day however, the tank has become very clouded with a green tint to the water. I resumed use of the skimmer and did a 25% water change. The pH and salinity are at their normal levels. The cloudiness didn't become this bad until after the protein skimmer was unplugged for two days. What could be causing this cloudiness? Whatever is making the water green isn't clinging to the rock or the glass, it appears to be completely mixed in with the water. I also turned the lights completely off in case it is an algae bloom.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cloudy Tank.jpg (20.7 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by mandyplo; 10-19-2012 at 06:35 PM.