View Single Post
Old 01-17-2015, 04:57 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koleswrath View Post
Nbreau- curing time is dependant on the amount of organics and bound phosphate that the rock contains at the beginning. 6-8 weeks is reasonable on average though. Bleaching and rinsing will breakdown large organics and leave less to cure by bacterial action = faster. Phosphate in the rock needs to be broken off and used by bacteria until it is used up (via Eli's methods).

Reefwars- how did you release and export the bound phosphate in the rock without cooking it? (I'm assuming all dry rock comes from land based mines and is chock full of bound phosphates)
In order to truly remove it from the system (which is what I think you mean-nutrient export) most likely some phosphate was removed/bound via the gfo , I ran a batch of gfo which has only recently been changed right from the beginning , some through skimming and some is processed in the system down the chain through animals in the system .....basically The same way it would be exported in a tank that housed all liverock

As an added twist I use all tap water lol

Tank still has zero po4 on a Hanna , I changed out the gfo recently just to freshen it up and no nitrates ever.

Dose is still at 40mls of vinegar over a photo period

Tank has seen maybe 3 water changes now as I did another recently.

Up until now I had no liverock in the system , I added a few Pounds to my fuge as I'm babysitting a ruby red dragonette and didn't want it to starve so wants it to have some life to hunt off

If anything my rock should have been packed with phosphates , it sat in 6" of stale tap water while we tested the watfalls , half the rock is out of the water , full tap water , nps corals needing daily feedings and not that many water changes and gfo going on

I def could have done worse as i followed none of the protocal steps lol

Coraline has taken over the tank , Rocks are getting almost full coverage on Coraline , I've got feather dusters out the wazoo and glass gets lots of Copepods

No cheat in the fuge yet but I honestly doubt it would do much it doesnt in my larger system

However do as I preach which is take the steps prior and not as I do lol