Thread: Snazzy 12g Nano
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 03:10 AM

Snaz is on a distinguished road
Default Snazzy 12g Nano

Some background on my solitary tank. I have had this little Aquapod 12 since August 2008 which as of today is almost four years. I have customized the tank including:

- Cheato refugium in one rear compartment.
- Upgraded return pump.
- Overflow lifted 1 cm.
- Replaced stock light with DIY 16 x 3W Bridgelux LED (50/50 blue and white) with dimmers.
- DIY ATO.

I have a busy household with kids and their hobbies so while front and center in the family room this tank cannot look messy. The All in One (AIO) achieves this look with hose and wires tucked away neatly so attention is focused on the contents of the glass and nothing else.

So some big reefers will no doubt chide me for a measly 12 gallons as some skimmers hold more than my display but I think big things can be done with little tanks. Nano tanks are not harder to maintain as many will falsely advise and are quite suitable for beginners.

Now my tank was in a holding pattern for over a year with minimal maintenance while I looked after my newborn daughter and I lost a lot of my favourite corals including all my beloved zoas. Now that my youngest is running around and a badly needed lighting upgrade(LED) six weeks ago in April 2012 I have a renewed interest in this tank. I am collecting again what I lost and trying some more difficult corals. The tank is a little bare right now but it will soon look full again.
Keith.