View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 08:45 PM

1eyedjyde is on a distinguished road

Not really what I wanted to hear but...

The overflow drains are mostly PVC rated for potable water. The issue i ran into was on the closed loop where the bonding of PVC pipe to ABS fittings (PVC fitting selection is limited in town) resulted in leaks so I changed all the PVC pipe to ABS and no more leaks, searching the internet resulted in more rumors some people use it with no issues some people prefir to use only PVC. The PVC is rated for potable water but in the actual amount of ABS im using the benifit of a quality connection out weighs the leaching of any chemicals in my mind. I have also run it for a few weeks with fresh water completely draining the tank several times and I will probably do it again now that its in the house as one final leak test. I also dont notice any odor from the pipe now that it has been thouroughly flushed, at the time when cutting the two different pipes the ABS smelt slightly worse then the PVC but at the same time melted PVC is still not healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
Its recommended not to use ABS plumbing on our aquariums. During manufacturing they add something to the plastic to inhibit the growth of bacteria on the pipe. Its not a really potent effect so you can get away with a little but it might not be a good idea to have all of your plumbing done with it. If I didn't need to leave for work right away I'd find some information for you... but I'm running short on time so maybe someone else will chime in.