View Single Post
Old 11-25-2006, 04:33 PM

Palster is on a distinguished road
Default Questions about building overflows and drilling a tank?

I have finally found homes for all of the Cichlids in my 135 gallon tank and am now ready to drain it and get it drilled and build overflow(s). The tank will be used initially as a FOWLR but I want to have the option of having enough flow if I decide to turn it into a reef tank later on. I have been doing lots of research on building overflow boxes and return lines but I still have lots of questions as I haven’t been able to find all of the answers I am looking for through web searches. What I am wondering is should I go with two overflows (1 in each corner) in a 135 gallon tank (72”L X 18”W X 24”H) or would one be enough. Also if I go with two overflows should I run a return line bulk head up through both overflows or would one be enough. I wan to keep the return line inside the tank and not have to run it up the back of the tank on the outside. Another thing I am not 100% sure about is whether or not it is ok to drill the bottom glass (is it tempered glass?) on a 135 gallon Sea Star Aquarium (the ones built in Victoria). Finally I am curious as to what size to build the overflow box or boxes (if I go with two) in the tank (the overflow box in my 90 gallon is approx. 7 ½” by 5 ½”) which gives me enough room for a Durso Standpipe and the return line.