View Single Post
Old 10-05-2019, 10:38 AM

MikeInToronto is on a distinguished road

In preparation for this tank, I was curing some rock in a trough in my crawlspace. I used that Marco rock mortar and cemented my rock work. That mortar is AMAZING! I made my structures and left them to dry in position and the next day, it was like concrete. No water yet.
Then I added 10 bags of live sand. I only used live because it was cheaper than dry.
I like to put the rock first because it anchors the rock. If I put sand first, it moves over time and little burrowing things tend to make things worse.

The tank is all cloudy but you can see the holes where the WAV plugs come out. They go along the bracing to the wall and into the EB382’s and 1Link. The returns go over the overflow. I debated whether to cut into the box to have them flush but my buddy told me I’d regret it. Anyway, this way there is minimal backflow if the pumps go off. In later pics you’ll see the the end of the return is submerged. In this pic above it’s exposed.

Here is the rock work. It’s a few different clusters of rock with lots of space between. The idea is the tank will get full of SPS everywhere so the fewer rocks the better.

Here a pic of the light because I forgot to add it in the lighting post. I don’t like all the wires so I’ll work on that later.