View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 07:32 PM

wolf_bluejay is on a distinguished road

>Regardless of who your provider is, your network speed is always dependent on the >slowest server (and your connection of course), thats why some sites load fast and >others don't, load balancing, server speeds, and general network health are huge >factors.

Usually, it's one of 3 things that is at fault - 1. The server you are connecting to is under heavy load, 2. You're network connection sucks, 3. You computer is very slow, or loaded down with anti-virus scanners. Try turning them off, and turn of Internet explorers "anti-phising filter".

I have read reports that SPAM takes up 40% of all network traffic at any given point and time, that means no spam, faster internet for all of us.
Umm, trust me, NO! spam only accounts for less than 0.5% of network traffic. It is 90% of the actual email traffic, but all things considered, email is not much of the load on the internet.

>The internet is a highway, when I am travelling to Calgary, the Trans canada has speeds >of 100 km/h, when I hit any city, it slows down because of traffic lights, more cars, >construction etc... network is no different. Having a 5 MB pipe allows you to get that, >but you will always be limited to the slowest server between you and what you want.... >the weakest link so to speak.

Nicely put, it seems that speekeasy can't do better than this:

Download Speed: 23726 kbps (2965.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 10134 kbps (1266.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

They limit the speed test to near this at their end (I am straight on the backbone with 1Gb network speeds) . So you won't really be able to "test" much higher than that.

>Another cool stat about the 'network', 85% of all installed fibre optic cabling is not lit!

Sad, but true. Years ago I worked on installing a few cross country fibre lines. 164 fibers per line and I think about 5 are acutally in use.