View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 08:38 PM

SaltyDog143 is on a distinguished road

I'm not real sure about taking the whole drain lines and bulkheads in the overflow apart and redoing them, they are siliconed and glued, I think the risk of breaking something are pretty high, I will look it over closer and consider this. But if I do this then what? replace all with 1.5" lines? is the reason you say this just to save some money on the gate valve? If so I would sooner spend the few bucks and not risk the extra damage. I do appreciate the opinion and advice.

As for the glass being dirty, yes I took that picture before we started cleaning the tank, its much cleaner now. The return lines still have a bunch of gunk on them but I was told I am wasting my time getting all that stuff off because it will all come off when I cycle the tank.

I have started reading up on the herbie and have to say I really like that idea, just wasn't sure what to do with the other drain, I guess I will just put it into the other sock slot.

At this point I have no intentions of putting a conopy on the tank, later on during the winter or spring I will build a wood surround for the sump, but will see what I think about a canopy later.

I am a carpenter by trade, I have worked with many plumbers and have fixed lots of things around the house like sinks, drains, toilets, taps, etc I do know the basics of plumbing, but have no idea how to design the plumbing for a tank which is why all the questions, I am confident that once I get an idea what needs to be done that I can do it.

As for the drain in the kitchen, I brought this up because I have the option and have no idea how to take advantage of it, was hopeing that one of the wise folks here would have a good idea to use this as an emergency backup to help prevent a flood.

Thanks again
Randy