View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 08:06 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I know a bit about the fiberglass & epoxy process having built a cedar strip canoe. No clue about plywood tank construction though. The glass epoxy process is indeed not that difficult, but you need a well ventilated area to work in and be prepared to spend a few $$$s on the premium epoxy resin you will need. There are different weights of cloth available, not sure what would be appropriate for a plywood fish tank, but if weight is not an issue, the heavier cloth will add strength.

Various boat building forums & vendors of kits/plans will be a great source of information. My canoe is built from plans produced by Bear Mountain Boats. There's plenty of info there on glassing etc. Along with the plans for the boat I also purchased the book Canoe Craft which provided plenty of guidance with regard to fiberglass/epoxy construction. The epoxy resin I used is the one recommended by many boat builders, the West System. It is pricey but the finish is excellent. With a fish tank you may not be that concerned with the finish on the resin since it will be covered? Hope this helps.