View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 07:05 PM

andy8383 is on a distinguished road
Default Plywood Tank Build 300 Gallon

Hi All,

After looking through a number of threads on people who have built plywood tanks, I've decided to jump in and give it a shot. I've started to build a 300 gallon plywood tank (8' long, 2.5' tall, 2' deep) with an overflow stretching across the back of the tank. I plan to fiberglass the entire tank and install 1/2" sapphire glass in the front. The tank will be part of a non-profit office redesign I'm spearheading.

I have some experience (used to have a 75 gallon saltwater tank in college), but I have been out of it for a number of years. I know I'm going to need a lot of advice along the way, so I hope more experienced forum users can help give me some direction.

A few quick questions...

- After looking at the various waterproofing options, I've decided to fiberglass the tank (inside and outside - might be a bit overbuilt, but I want this tank to last). I've just started researching the fiberglassing process and it doesn't sound too complicated, but I have zero experience in this. Has anyone fiberglassed a tank before? Any suggestions on type of resin/hardener or where to get them? Any other tips would be very appreciated!

I've attached a few pictures to this post of the plywood being cut and screwed together. It's starting to take shape!

Thanks Everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0968.jpg (35.8 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0971.jpg (23.9 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0972.jpg (22.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0973.jpg (23.4 KB, 99 views)