View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 10:57 PM

tlo is on a distinguished road
Default marine velvet - experimental treatment thread - hydrogen peroxide

well - I have marine velvet in my tank
I am pretty faithful about quarantining my fish, but have been slack on the corals - so I think it hitch hiked on a coral I bought a couple weeks ago.

I have been doing some research on using hydrogen peroxide to treat it - it seems relatively simple, easy on the fish and effective. I thought I would write a log as to how it went.

I am using 75mg/L (9.5mls 3% hydrogen peroxide/ 1 gallon tank water) as a 30 minute bath.
- the fish did not seem stressed at all in the dip and the ones that showed lesions seemed to get almost instant relief (no visible velvet after the dip, only a few raw lesions where the fish had been most affected, breathing less laboured)
- the fish were then placed into quarantine.

I plan on repeating the dip in 7 days, then the fish will remain in quarantine until the fallow period is up.

-starting with 11 fish - 2 tangs, 2 clowns, 2 wrasses, 2 bangaiis, 1 hawkfish, 1 assessor,1 gramma

- I lost a tang and a wrasse overnight, but these were the sickest fish and probably would not have survived the night regardless. Everybody else is happy and eating w no visible signs of distress/velvet.

will keep this thread updated.

Last edited by tlo; 08-14-2011 at 11:05 PM.