View Single Post
Old 03-16-2017, 05:23 PM

saltcreep is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakegr View Post
That is definitely the other side of things! Consumers, if given the choice, will always trend towards the less expensive option. Fish stores need to stay in business and attract customers. I don't blame them for doing things to keep costs down.
Unfortunately this industry has seen a race to the bottom and with no end in sight. There is a huge distinction with keeping costs down and being successful.

Quote:
That being said, I truly believe the entire industry (from supply to store) needs to be reformed. Animal welfare in the aquarium hobby is abysmal due to the supply chain. Similar stories have occurred in other sectors, ranging from puppy mills to the importation of exotic birds. The government needs to get involved and regulate the aquarium hobby in Canada, in my opinion. I doubt it will reform on it's own.
The government does not have the resources to deal with this issue and it has been proven time and time again that the industry is unable to self regulate. Those that do will get left behind by those who don't. It's a sad fact, but the cold hard truth. There are many examples I can give from my previous time in this sector of the industry. Sadly, I still face similar issues with regulatory non-compliance in other parts of the industry.

Quote:
Poor animal welfare needs to be looked at independently of economics. It is no longer acceptable in today's society. The only reason the aquarium hobby has lagged behind others is that the general public do not perceive fish in the same way they do a puppy, but I think that gap is narrowing. If the industry doesn't improve welfare, I believe it will eventually be shut down.

I'm not blaming stores for this problem! It is a top to bottom issue that requires the entire industry to change it's format (many will think this is unrealistic I suspect). There are many positives, such as employment in developing countries, advancing fish husbandry, boosting local economies, etc. We just need to start looking out for the health and welfare of the animals that are the bottom of it all.

Everyone, please do not rip me to shreds over my opinion
Your opinion is extremely spot on. The only thing I would suggest and have been for years is that the solution is not top to bottom, but rather flipped the other way. This is what was suggested by a previous poster. Vote with your wallet. This is the fastest way to affect change. The stores and supply chains that will not change and operate in a more ethical manner would simply disappear.

I had the same conversation with David Vossler of MAC years and years ago. Appeal to the consumer, educate the consumer and force change at retail level. This would lead to changes all the way up the supply chain as each step would have to adapt or die.

Maybe it's too idealistic, but only now are there signs of coordinated efforts to educate the consumer.