View Single Post
Old 12-19-2015, 02:38 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
Now to step outside the box I am not what you would call an environmentalist I live and work in an industry that cuts down trees for a living to make people's lives easier however environmentalists and Eco-terrorists would have the populace believe we are destroying our forests and habitat for animals. Sadly most people go off half cocked and start spouting logging is evil, pulp and paper is evil and so on (surprising considering most of these people live in and use what we make from trees how eco friendly are they really). It would probably surprise many that forests across the world have actually increased in size including here in BC and there is more habitat available than 25 years ago however most environmentalists and Eco-terrorists don't want to hear that all they hear is what they want to hear.
Reminds me, many years ago, had to go work (in a sawmill) up north (near PG actually) one year to make/save up enough money so I could finish school. Prior to that, I was definitely anti-logging (dominated media at the time), but got a real eye opener while I was up there. What I learned is how more in tune the people up there are with the environment, not just with working outdoors, but playing outdoors as well with fishing, camping, hiking, etc.

So makes me wonder too, whether the collectors in the indo pacific, where we get our corals from, are really damaging the environment as much as the media wants us to believe. They live (and play) there, so would think they have some interest in not destroying their own environment. And just like logging, have to believe that "sustainable harvesting" practices have evolved to encourage that.

I take much greater exception to resort building in some areas (that I have seen in person, like Mexico and the Caribbean) where the associated fill and artificial beaches, have created silt and pollution that kill off the sensitive corals. I have gone snorkeling there and have seen the crumbled stick piles of dead SPS forests. And it is us, as tourists, that ultimately are the cause of that, too.