View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 12:12 PM

philg3 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Okay, lots of things to think about. I spoke with Paul at Oceanic Corals here in BC, he has been my go 2 guy since he got me started in the hobby, and he really wasnt feeling the internal weir. He's probably right, it is overcomplicating things by trying to simplify the drilling. a horizontal hole like Dez's would function better and look cleaner.

More importantly, I might just lose the Tank and order a new custom one (Check your Email Brad - well timed post). I picked up the Tank with a custom waterproof and soundproof stand for $200. pretty good deal if you ask me. The Tank is in pretty perfect condition right now but it has this big cherry wood lip around it, and like i said it needs to be drilled. Depending on cost, it might be better to bite the bullet and buy a Rimless eurobraced Starphire Front Tank with a built in external overflow box. I've had two tanks since i started this hobby in January (my first tank is my current sump), and have been having a lot of fun experimenting with plumbing and equipment and different setups. But now its ****ing me off that everything is always noisy and half complete, and the roomates are becoming less supportive of the hobby every time they come down to the skimmer cup overflowing onto the floor. I think i've experimented enough and have a pretty clear picture in my head of what i want the tank to look like, not to mention i want to start loading it up with some more livestock. So hopefully i can get a custom tank built for not too much money, and then sell the intact Oceanic Tank (its in really nice shape, i bet if i listed it i could get close to 200$ for it alone.) Cost really is the only thing im unsure of, so if i like the price on a custom tank ill do that, if its outside my reach ill probably drill the oceanic.

@ Scuba -

One quick thing, i noticed in your posts that you are going with notched back glass. If you mean teeth that may not be the best call, they reduce surface skimming and increase noise, kind of the whole point to the coast 2 coast beananimal combo. If i misunderstood notched then nevermind, I feel like we're both headed in the same direction here. Where did you order your tank from?

@ everyone else -

a quick one. What are the baffles inside the external overflow box for? I've seen pictures of them in some of the nicer systems and was wondering what they did. Any help is appreciated as always.

The design i mocked up was as much about me trying out Google Sketchup as it was trying to engineer an overflow design of my own. So for that reason alone I've been really impressed with the civility in this thread, and you may have officially converted a lurker into a poster. Sound advice without any attitude here on CanReef. I've seen other Forums where noob questions will get flamed for not doing research, and that is probably why i've waited so long to post. I just cant be bothered to argue with people on the internet.

I'm guessing its because we're all canadian and have some serious problems being a dick.

So I'm off to source a couple of custom tanks and check with the local glass shop to see what they might charge for the Drilling and overflow box. Hopefully when im back from a trip in mid july ill start a build thread for you guys to follow along.

Thanks again!