View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 09:53 PM

KevinK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Yeah, for the price it's certainly worth giving the drivers a shot, they can always be used elsewhere. If you're looking to up light trees, there are 10 watt LED floods available that run on 12 VDC. You can also get them as AC voltage models, using household power. They're waterproof & made for the outdoors, you don't need an extra driver since it's built in. My DIY 10 watt multichip aquarium fixture uses all 10 watt LEDs hooked up in parallel supplied by two 12 VDC power supplies & manual dimmers. One of the reasons I chose the 10 watt multichip LEDs is the forward voltage for most of them is in the 9 to 12 VDC range, making it easy to find power supplies. I realize constant current drivers would be safer, but the fixture has been running for close to two years with no burn outs (I'm underdriving the LEDs, keeping voltage below 9VDC through the dimmers).

Check it out, might another option or supplement. Like you said, maximum flexibility. These can be had on eBay as well, just happened to find the link below useful due to the info & description.

http://superiorledbulbs.com/light-ad...ty-floodlight/

thing is, I do have lots of LED's already above my tank,

when I build it, 2 years back, I build it like 50/50, as our LFS did not had enough RB.

as i had spend lots already, thats where it got stuck a bit.

now, with about 110 white and 110 blue, I found a trade off with my wife, I take white led's off the tank, and put RB in, some green red and violet.

when you se the trend nowerdays, it is not so much anymore how manny LED's you have above a tank, the trend is what is in the LED's, as some say the radions are ok to spread about 3x3 feet, meaning on my 6 feet tank, that would only be 2 units, and that means way less LED's that 220.

so now I want to mod the LED frame a bit to have 4 sets in there, with only12 white per set, 12 blue, 10 RB and than 2 red, 2 green and 2 violet.

so I havel lots of white led's left, and that is why I want to se how I re-use them, as no one is giving a $ for used LED's.

I can snap them from the heat sink, and way i go.

i will give it a shot, worst thing I have to get some of the $ 15 meanwell drivers, and cluster them on strings in stead of here a led and there. this would ask for some more whiring, but ok.

I will try the little drivers at $ 1 first, and if that is not working to my liking, i move to the other drivers.

thanks all for your input, it might take a while to get the ebay drivers in, when I have it running, i will let you know