View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 02:38 AM

Jakegr is on a distinguished road
Default Jake's seahorse reef

Starting a new tank!

It will feature two 24”x24”x22” cube(ish) tanks,, a 36”x16”x16” sump/DSB refugium, and two standard ten gallon tanks for ATO and easy water changes.

My goals:
1) Very quiet tank(s).
2) Keep power consumption low.
3) Reduce tank maintenance/ make maintenance easy.

Tank #1: Soft coral, macro algae, sea grass and seahorse tank. I have no experience keeping sea horses and sea grasses, so this build has required some reading on my part. I guess that is the main reason for this tank… I just wanted to try something new! Over time, I plan on adding a pair of Mandarin dragonets and harlequin shrimp. All of these species require special attention, and I will be adding them slowly to ensure I have a good grasp on the husbandry techniques needed to keep them healthy.

Tank #2: It will depend on the water chemistry I am able to achieve in the sea horse tank alone. This tank will be added to the system next year. I am open to theme ideas! I have not even ordered this tank yet.

Details:

Custom Concept Aquatics 24”x24”x22” starfire tank with external Bean Animal Overflow (12” long), one piece euro brace, and a blue ABS background. The return line will come back through the overflow, so there will be four holes in the external overflow box. I should get it in within a month. Like everyone else I have talked to, I have only good things to say about my experience working with Dave.

The display will have a 2.5” DSB (mixture of mud and aragonite sugar sand) for seagrass and ~20-30 lbs of Bali live rock. A Maxspect Razor will light the tank. I like the sleek form, lack of fans, and price. They are not, however, available in Canada yet.

(rendering by Concept Aquatics).

I was going to build my own sump, but I decided to order an Eshopps R-300 today from Ray at Reef Supplies.ca (amazing service so far by the way! I have no idea how he can ship a 40 gallon tank across the country for $25). The sump will have a 4” DSB of aragonite sugar sand. Above it, suspended by egg crate, will be a frag rack for clams and soft corals. I love clams, and I can’t let my old ones go! They are apparently not sea horse safe. They are great water filters, so why not put them in the sump. My sump light will be an AI nano I already own.

The return pump will be an RLSS DC5000. Additional flow will be provided by an MP10 on the lowest possible setting. Heating/ATO/dosing/monitoring will be controlled by a Profilux IIIex.

Some of the gear I try telling myself I'm not a gear-guy... but not convincingly.

Proposed stand: 80”x24”x36” power coated 2" steel. I know this is overbuilt. I thought having two separated tanks on the same stand would call for some special structural considerations. Also, I want it to hold an 80” long tank if I ever decide to get a single big tank. The bars on the bottom are to keep the sump off the floor. There will be feet on the bottom of the stand for easy leveling and to allow airflow beneath the stand. Any input on this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading!
Jake

PS. This was posted on one other forum, hope that is OK!

Last edited by kien; 12-21-2013 at 04:04 PM.