View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 04:40 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
Well that's probably more like if I had $10 bucks for every time. Since august it's been weekly testing & adjusting. Because that's when the dosing stop maintaing & started to push salinity. It's been a **** show since
Once a week testing and dosing should have solved the issue. Something just isn't right. Do you have a TDS meter? You're using BRS stuff right? I could go mix up say 1/4 tsp in 2 cups of RO/DI water and test the TDS of each, then you can do the same. I am using Sodium bicarbonate for alkalinity though. Could rule out a concentration issue, although I don't think that's likely. Have you tried emailing BRS? They have pretty good customer service.

I'm assuming you have double checked all the simple, easily overlooked stuff like measurements of water and chems? Have you checked that the dosers are operating properly? Maybe they aren't dosing what they say they are? Maybe measure the water in the dosing vessel, and measure again 24 hours later?

As I've told you before, the salinity in my tank slowly goes up as well. I have to add about 2 liters per week to keep salinity down. It is from a buildup of chloride. However, I also do a large 75% or so waterchange 3-4 times per year which helps flush excess chloride out. Chloride has been one of the elements that people are questioning in "old tank syndrome" crashes and general aging demise. No one knows for sure yet. We do know that in many captive reefs the chloride ions are much greater in number than in wild reefs.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 11-17-2011 at 04:47 PM.