View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 09:46 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to agree with what everyone else is saying about doing what you like over money...not any more

I took a $35K paycut last year to work on a project I thought was really cool rather than one that was very "typical" and something I had done before. In a normal year, I would say it was well worth it. But now this year my condo building is leaking and for my part of the repair I have a $30, 000 bill! Really could have used that money now!

I have changed careers many times although always in the "design" area.

Fine Art (painting)--Illustration--Graphic Design--Illustration--Animation--Interior Design--back to animation in January

I have found it easy to "attach" yourself to a professional in the field your interested in and then prove that you can be an asset. Its all about using your talents in a way someone will need them. Sometimes you have to convince a company or person that they can use you or even NEED you. That was the case with the interior design.

I love all design but I was very interested in interiors. So I emailed a guy from HGTV...over and over and over again. He finally said he needed to meet me cause I was so persistent. I showed him what I could do and what I can bring to his company from my past experiences. He was impressed and gave me a job for 3 months until he moved to LA. I will also be on his new show next year which is kind of cool. Get to go to SF all expenses paid for 3 months.

I try to do what I think I will enjoy but I also always make sure it pays better than what I was doing previously I learned my lesson once from taking a big paycut. I am also very motivated by money though

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 11-15-2009 at 09:48 PM.