View Single Post
Old 10-29-2016, 04:06 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galizio View Post
I'm wondering what my option are, as I've never had to manually level a tank before. Is shimming part of the stand an option? The stand its on a laminate floor, so I'm a bit concerned about the significant weight resting on shims, possibly denting the floor. Really I'm just looking for some feedback, see what you guys think, experience you've had and what my options might be.

Thanks!
Denting the laminate is a possibility. The other thing to consider is if you put that steel frame directly onto the laminate it will stain it with rust because no matter how good the powder coat is, it will eventually rust from salt creep. At the very least, I always put down a mat. In your case, you need something with substance to it, so a mat won't be enough. I'd recommend you use 1/4" plywood, and then you can shim between the plywood and the steel stand. If you plan to keep the sump area open like it is, then paint the edges of the plywood black so it blends in with the steel tubing. DO NOT paint the bottom of the plywood because the paint will stick to the laminate.

SPS fanatic.