View Single Post
Old 10-25-2002, 02:59 PM

TANGOMAN is on a distinguished road

Solenoid valve did you say? Ooooh, an electronically actuated flow control device...that gets me excited !!!! I do however hate that unattended thing and well,what if...Maybe it's just me but the "what if" always happens to me. I don't think it's a lack of skill. I've worked many years as a mechanic in the construction equipment industry and hydraulics is something I'm very familiar with. So is floor dry and shop-vacs now that I think about it...This pastime has brought me to the realization it's not if it will happen but when...
I've done that 5 gal bucket thing for years and ya', it sucks ! I blew a disc in my back 6 months ago so I came up with the following set up to minimize the chore of haulin' pails around. I never incorporated anything electronic however I do like the idea ! The timer is an awesome idea !!!
I "T'd" in a 1/2" fitting to a cold water line in the basement,an arragement of bushings and adaptors gets me to a 1/4" ball valve. Into my Carbon cartridge filters and then to a "bank" of needle valves that direct water to different tank reservoirs and a garbage can in the basement for making saltwater. Each reservoir is equipped with a humidifier float valve, because, "what if" I forget to turn off the valve...The reservoir is gravity fed into the sump where another float valve controls water level in the sump. This would work with your DI set-up and installing the timer would minimize,not eliminate though, the risk of an unwanted "hypo-salinity" treatment for your tank. Anyway, I gotta' go to home Depot now as I'm all excited about timer devices...what are you using ? 110 V or does the unit have a transformer to reduce current ? Is there a risk of your reservoir freezing out on the balcony ?