View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 06:22 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road
Default Ned help with new line of Fresh water substrates from CaribSea

Hey guys,
I am setting up a small FW cube, and wanted to go with a black sand for a long time so shopped around and could Not find SeaChem Fluorite Black Sand anywhere (Big Al's, KingEd J&L).

So end up buying a new CaribSea super Natural Tahitian Moon black sand From KingEd. $29.99 for a 20lb bag.
But before opening the bag i realized that the bag is generic for 8 different substrates in this line.
Now on the web page it states that it is Not suitable for plants !

However if you click on the catalog (bottom right PDF) page 13 (super naturals) it shows that Tahitian Moon coded: B, F, P & SI:
Codes are on the page 1 of the PDF catalog
B- Bio magnet
F- Fresh water
P- Planted
Si- Sifter Friendly.

So P=OK for plants!
I am a little confused now is it or is it not good for plants?

I know they offer a Eco-complete Planted on page 12 but i wanted smaller particle size and also when i touched the bag of the Eco-Complete at Big Al's the grains were big and had very sharp edges... thats why i went with sand.

And last but not the least i ran a magnet over the bag and this staff is magnetic(!?) what!

It's hard to see because particle size is like 0.1 to 0.3 mm, but could this be iron or what? I know chelated iron is good for FW plants but ...is it magnetic lava?
Well anyhow i wonder if any of you have an opinion on this issue?
especially on the magnetic property of it. Is it not suppose to be chelated iron only ?
thx

Last edited by RuGlu6; 02-21-2010 at 07:54 PM.