Thread: 33 Gallon Reef
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 05:42 PM

Sidius is on a distinguished road

So a few days after the last update and pictures were taken, the storm to end all storms hit our area and we were without power for over 30 hours. I have not acquired the necessary redundancy equipment to keep things going during a power outtage and ended up losing a few things. My tank temp had dropped to 56 degrees. I attempted to keep oxygen in the tank by stirring, scooping+pouring tank water and keep the temp up by floating 2 litre bottles filled with hot water from the tap (we had hot water due to it being gas).. The heat would be gone from the bottles in 10 mins or less but it did seem to maintain the heat.. Obviously refilling 2 litre bottles every 10 minutes wasn't sustainable for 30 hours. I had to go to bed at some point and had to go to work the next day.

All in all, I lost my Banggai Cardinal, 1 SPS frag (Stellata), 5 snails and a couple hermits. Everything else pulled through, although I thought I was going to lose my Purple Stylo. It seemed to lose most of its polyps and most of the tissue, aside from a little "cap" of tissue/polyps on the top of the frag. Over the last few weeks the tissue has come back on most of the frag and the polyps are mostly all back.

I've since replaced the Banggai Cardinal (though the new guy isn't eating as well as the one that died) and the snails. I've held off on replacing the Hermits for now. I also just added a few more corals last night! I added the following...

2x Torch frags
Duncan frag
Hammer frag (green base/purple tip)
Green Birdsnest frag
Rainbow Pocillopora frag
Forest Fire Digitata frag
Yellow tip Austera