View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 05:09 PM

straightrazorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to straightrazorguy
Default Calcium Reactor Replacing Two Part?

So, I've been dosing two-part solution since May last year when I set up my new 150 gallon cube. As I've acquired more and more SPS, I found I've had to increase the amount of two-part I dose considerably. I have acquired a calcium reactor with all the parts (CO2 bottle, solenoid, PH probe, etc) , bought myself a separate effluent chamber, so I am now set up to start running it.

The system I have now is dialed in and I can run it with minimal adjustments. I am contemplating switching, as I anticipate the Ca consumption will take off. I would like to hear some insights/advice from the people who run or have run Ca reactors.

A few details about my system:
- 150 Gallon mixed reef (SPS dominated)
- 35 gallon sump (approx half full)3
- Sicce 5.0 return pump with a couple of reactors tapped in via the manifold
- 45 gallon inline refugium, full of algae and critters, fed from the sump by an eheim pump
- 10 fish (2 tangs, a pair of clowns, a Harlequin tusk, a Copperband Butterfly and a bunch of wrasses)
- Mechanical fitration via 2 x 4 inch socks
- RLSS R6i skimmer with 4inch Avast Skimmate locker and swabbie
- Biopellet reactor
- ROWAphos reactor
- Kalk stirrer (only adding Kalk at night for PH control)
- CCl2 and Alk (Sodim bicarbonate) dosed during the day via BRS dosing pumps
- Ca 470, Alk 8.4, Mg 1300, Po4 <0.02 typically, Nitrates undetectable

My idea is to add the Calcium reactor on line and take the dosers offline over the next couple of months. Is this a good idea? If it is, then I need ideas how to go about it without shocking the system and losing corals?

Thanks in advance guys and gals...

Last edited by straightrazorguy; 03-31-2015 at 05:13 PM.