View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 12:51 AM
BATfishMAN

Reef_Geek is on a distinguished road

have a look at the website, in my opinion, he's got nice stuff. Prices are often cheaper than retail, but more than hobbyists' sales.

The way I see it, there's a few tiers

1) the cheapest are
-used from hobbyist sales in the For Sale Forum, or from kijiji
-fire sales, leaving hobby sales, tank break down sales, moving sales
-trades and frags, or I don't want this anymore kind of sale
For these, you wait and patrol. Snag the deals ASAP if it's good, they'll go fast. You take what you get, and get what you pay for. Sometimes the price is off, and those are the offers that stick around for a while.

2) When you want to get what you want, when you want it... you have to buy from a business. That's usually online or LFS. Coral Master is an online vendor and at least in my experience in dealing with as well as hearing from others, he has a solid reputation. Price will be higher than fire sales (point above), but you get good stuff at fair prices. Within the LFS bucket, you've got volume driven LFS like Gold's, and you've got quality places like Concepts or Oceans. You'll find each different LFS has their own types of oddities... like I know I can ask Concepts if I were seeking a rare wrasse, Wei's if I wanted Synchiropus picturatus or Centropyge potteri, Pisces if I wanted Centropyge aurantonotus... etc etc. The big box LFS will have dry goods when you need it, but may not be the cheapest... that kind of thing.