View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 03:42 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelljared View Post
Well maybe a little unorthodox, but I just used my juicer and put in a whole bulb, juiced it, and then put it in a little container. I add about 1 mL to a decent sized food batch. So the garlic is in its most raw form. We started the whole garlic adding routine when we noticed ich in the tank. Since then, about 3-4 weeks ago, we haven't seen it since. The fish seem much healthier too. The peppermint shrimp death could have been anything really. But the cleaner shrimp's death was very odd. He had shed his shell about 5 days prior, and was hiding behind the rocks till his new shell grew back. Then after that he started coming more out in the open, and we thought "oh good, now he's going to start doing his job and cleaning things." But I then fed the tank, using the same routine I always do...and then we looked in the tank about 10 mins later and cleaner shrimp was laying dead on the sand. So strange. The bubble coral also shrinks a bit...and now he's showing some of his septa (think that's the right word)...there's a daughter colony, budding at the base and that one is okay, inflated. But it's main base doesn't seen to react well to the garlic.
Sorry to go all into it...I don't think pics would help much either. Maybe a teeny teeny bit of garlic is okay...I just don't think I'll be using so much as a mL for a bit. This is a good discussion. I can definitely attest to garlic being good for ich problems, but just watch your inverts.
If you are making your own garlic extract out of a fresh garlic bulb, take care that none of the bulb bits get into the reefs tank.
If a bulb bit falls on a coral it will irritate but not kill the coral.