View Single Post
Old 02-16-2017, 01:39 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberc12 View Post
I got someone pretty fantastic coming over sometime to give me some pointers on that very thing Mindy!

Got any skimmer recommendations?
Bubble Magus is definitely good bang for the buck.

One of my clients has a tank 96 x 24 x 24" (240 gallons) which is about 60 gallons less than you. I have a Bubble Magus Curve 9 on that tank, and it does quite well though the skimmer cup could be larger (needs emptying twice a week). That said, I also have a Curve 9 on a 120-gallon client tank where I have heavy stocking plans. The Curve A9 is the DC pump version. I don't have any clients using the DC version for long enough to make any recommendations there.

The big question is, do you like to stock lots of fish or less fish? Do you plan to have very many large fish (like Tangs, Foxface, Angelfish, etc)?

If you plan to have a significant fish load (like most people do), you may want to step up a model from the 9/A9. Some manufacturer max tank size recommendations are way too optimistic, Bubble Magus is one of them. If Bubble Magus says for tanks 1000-2500L, consider the 1000L the correct tank size to use the skimmer on. So for your tank, this is most likely the range you're looking for within the Bubble Magus line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchM View Post
Regarding skimmer choice, tests have shown that there is no difference in performance based on the design of the skimmer.
This is true, according to the one "study". However, it didn't take into consideration how likely the skimmer is to fail, to overflow, how fussy it is to dial in, etc, etc. Some people (not saying MitchM is one) came to the conclusion that all skimmers are equal after reading that article, but that is not the case. All it proved is that the basic design of the skimmer (the shape of it, the style of air injection) doesn't make very much difference at all.

SPS fanatic.