View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 01:50 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the salty side. Yes it's not that popular/well known, but in my view that makes it all the more intriguing.

Just a quick comment on the window business. I know we don't get as much consistent sunlight as our friends south of the border, but down there, there are more and more marine aquarists experimenting with sunlight to light their tanks, solartubes etc. With a search I'm sure you'll stumble across some good threads on that. I often wondered why some aquarists were so paranoid about a little sunlight getting into their systems, after all, it's what the animals we keep evolved with over thousands of years. Even with the window closer to your display, in summer the sun is high so it would only receive indirect light. In winter, if it's a south facing window you'd get more direct sun, but it's so low on the horizon, that I don't imagine it would cause that much of an algae problem, particularly if your water quality is in good shape. My 2 cents on that. Some very good advice already in this thread for you and more to come I'm sure.