View Single Post
Old 09-28-2014, 02:51 AM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Of course, before adding a probe one should check for stray voltage with a multimeter as adding a probe without knowing what's going on can be very dangerous, and possibly harmful or deadly to both yourself and your critters
If you do have stray voltage, adding a grounding probe will give it a path to ground. This is not good unless you have a GFCI

With a multimeter set to 120VAC, put the red (positive) probe in the tank water and the black (negative) probe into the d-shaped socket in any outlet

If you do find current in your tank, unplug one piece of hardware at a time until you find the culprit

Any current above a couple volts should be investigated, but sometimes you can get a reading just from lights above water creating a 'field' (for lack of the proper term)
+1 however if you can put your hand in the tank with no issues, not likely stray voltage.

I had a skimmer pump that would turn off and on. I narrowed it down to the pump after it kept randomly overflowing after a few days of perfect skimming. One day i was looking at the sump I heard a rattling noise, then silence.I put my hand under both pump inlets, and sure enough one wasnt running. After replacing the bad pump, it was perfect. Pump happened to be a sicce PSK2500. I would replace the pump.

They call it addiction for a reason...