View Single Post
Old 12-13-2014, 03:29 AM
Vendor

eli@fijireefrock.com is on a distinguished road

[quote=Easto;924927]Water Changes:
Should I be doing water changes while the rock cures, or leave the rock and water alone and let it do its thing?
I have tested both and I had faster curing period without water change.

Cured Rock how long will bacteria live outside the water?
From what I have seen and just giving a number I have used,room temperature should be able to hold the rock out of the tank for couple hours before you see much difference although temperature (and I mean big swing in a short period) play a big role on bacteria survival.

What's the best way to aquascape? I was planning on keeping my tank empty and putting the cured rock in there. Figuring out where I want the rocks, then using epoxy to keep them in place. I don't know how long this will take. Once I have the rocks placed I was going to add salt water. In a situation like this how long will the rocks last in a dry tank? Or should I fill the tank with water and aquascape under water just to be safe?
Really most aquascape I have seen or I should say the longest in a dry tank is 4 hours then FijiCrete the rock and add saltwater.

Water movement while curing?
I don't have any powerheads yet and was planning on getting a Gyre Generator in my tank. If I am curing in a rubbermaid container, what do you suggest I use for water movement (what's the cheapest method)?
I highly suggest a power head as this is the best way to do it.If you have an air pump with a hose running at the bottom of the container with few holes in it to push air out and to the surface as this agitate your water thus circulating it.

Bleach:
Bleach will kill the proteins left on and in the rock?
Yes, Bleach left in the container with water and rock will penetrate every crevice of the rock.

Acid:
Acid will dislodge any leftover proteins that are killed when the rock is bleached. Rinsing won't wash them all away and the acid bubbling will basically force it all off the rock and out of the small pores?I know these are alot of questions I just want to make sure I am understanding and have all my ducks in a row.
In this hobby its always best to ask as many questions as possible before acting to reduce the hole in your pocket
Acid will do a better job on dislodging all the micro particles, of course some will be left in there as that is why the curing process has to be followed.
/QUOTE]