Thread: GoPro reviews
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2015, 02:39 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Wow, a bunch of camera's I've never looked at yet. While video's are cool, and I'd definitely want something that can do them, if I'm totally honest with myself, my love really is macro photography. It drives my dive partner nuts when he's looking around at the big blue and I've got my face cramped in some hole looking to see what's in there. But, even to his reluctant admission, I see way more life than he does, lol.

I guess with all the suggestions so far and a bit more reading I've done here's the camera's I'm still got in the running (in time I may end up with more than one) in no particular order:

GoPro hero 4 Silver
Intova Sport HD II
Intova Edge X
Sealife DC1400 Sea Dragon Maxx Duo

Money isn't as much of an issue as my satisfaction in the end. If I can't afford what I want now, I'll wait till I can. Nothing worse than settling for something you can buy now but don't use it because it sucks.

I have a bit of experience using some under water camera gear. My dive buddy has an older Sony DSLR (can't remember what model) with an underwater housing and I'm not that impressed. Buttons are hard to deal with, impossible when I wear my dry gloves for winter diving around here. He doesn't have any strobes for it so backscatter is always present if you try and use the flash. My UK1200 light does ok as a light source, but it's very pinpoint-ish so you always see the circular light ring.

Craigdillman: Can you remember at what depths you were diving at in the video you posted? What accessories do you have for your GoPro? Any filters, lights, etc? The colours were better than I thought you'd get out of that camera.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! Keep em coming. If you think of other factors or camera's to think of, let us know.