View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 01:34 PM

Jeff000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Maybe we're not getting the same impression from his photos

I see a small piece of plywood under his jack post. If it's larger, that would explain me talking about a larger plate of steel
If it's a length of 2x6, it's still not sufficient. Either way it will compress and would be better suited with something to spread the load out farther, away from the post, to alleviate any stress on the floor directly under the post

I agree with you saying he could just adjust the post as the wood compresses, but that's not a 'safe' method. As I said, the wood could also split, and then the whole thing is useless

I'm unclear with your statement;
"I simply said the wood and the 1/4" steel would displace the weight to a similar footprint"
I was talking about placing a large plate of steel under the jack post to spread out the load. I never mentioned any wood in my idea

What do you mean ?
His photos are small. But it looks like a ~10" piece of 2x6 under the feet of the posts, well at least the one that I can see.

The wood will hardly compress. I seriously doubt it will split. His biggest issue with the wood is that it is not pressure treated and directly on the concrete.

The part you are unclear of is I am saying the wood he has will be as effective as the small thin piece of steel that you are recommending.

He is putting a tiny load on this part of his floor, he's not putting a 40 ton Leopard Tank in his living room.