View Single Post
Old 07-14-2015, 12:12 AM

martinmcnally is on a distinguished road
Default Auto Top Up Failed Again :(

My second auto top up system failed this weekend (of course while I was out of town). I've pretty much had it with these crappy things.

I used to have a Tunze Osmolator and the pumps would fail every few months so I ditched that one for some float switches which worked for years. Then I decided to get a Aqua Gadget Hydrofill thinking I wanted a little more security. Do not purchase this, its garbage (in my opinion), bad design. It was finicky from the start. If you get any foam or dirt or anything on the sensors it fails. It has flooded my living room twice in the past 7 days.

Decided to go back to the old float switches and upgrade my Apex to control them.

I was thinking of doing this:

Single controller float. When its activated wait 5 minutes then turn on the water, when its deactivated with 5 minutes then turn off the water. This should prevent the constant on and off that you sometimes get.

Then the second switch will be closer to the surface as a fail safe. If activated the system is shut off and alarm sounds.

Also purchased 2 leak detectors if activated system is shut off and alarm sounds.

I was considering having 2 float switches do the on and off work but it just doubles the chances that one of them will fail. I think I would rather have apex programming that says if the water is on for more than 10 minutes something is wrong, close the water and sound the alarm.

If the controller float fails, and the programming does not stop the more than 10 minute water on, and the dead stop float fails I still have the leak sensors.

What do you guys think?