View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 05:36 PM

makana is on a distinguished road

That is interesting, I hadn't thought of using carbon dosing to speed it up. I guess the only question is how do you really know when the rock has been depleted of phosphates when you can't test for it in the water due to the bacteria consuming it. I guess it doesn't matter if you keep some type of carbon dosing going after the tank is setup.

I was thinking of trying to find some lanthinum chloride to use every couple days to drop the level in the water back to 0 after it has climbed. I find mine is climbing to about 1ppm in 3-4 days and staying there until the next water change. I could do a lot more water changes as well but that is a lot more work and money. I'm just not sure where to get lanthinum chloride.

But I'm really wondering if my rock actually has phosphates left in it or if the phosphate is just coming from the coraline die off. If it is just from the coraline then I should be fine onece there is light on it.

Livestock: clown fish, chromis, coral beauty.

Corals: Toadstool, maze brain, candy cane, mushrooms (purple & green hairy), button polyps, green zoas, GSP.