View Single Post
Old 08-30-2018, 10:10 PM

Dash is on a distinguished road

The summer has flown by. Luckily the tank is in our basement which stays very cool so the temps have been stable.

In memoriam...
Sadly I had a couple of losses in early August. I've been very fortunate & haven't experienced this a lot, and I have a hard time with it.

Basil the tailspot. Not sure what happened here, one day fine the next missing at evening roll call. He was almost 3 years old and was mature when I got him (I picked the biggest one) so was it old age? I really would like to get another one but hate to think they have short life spans

Peach the fromia. Well, I enjoyed her for 8 months. I've tried to read up on these guys and this seems to be about the average time they last in tanks. Anyone have a different experience? Beautiful creature - hate to think we are not able to provide the environment for them to live out their natural life span? Very conflicted about getting another one but loved seeing her in the tank. Here she is taking a ride on a snail & falling off.

On to happier news...I finally got the stand doors on and painted. Went with black. Whew! Boring stuff all done.

Got my first (and only) tang! I was lucky and found one in perfect shape. Also just under 2.5" so the price was lower He was shy for about 5 minutes and is doing very well. His personality is like the one in Finding Nemo. Very amusing despite being a tang.

I've continued to slowly add new coral and have settled into watching the tank evolve and grow. Here are some of the goings on...

Awesome new goniopora. Each little "petal" is tipped with a tiny bit of purple. (Not evident with my poor photo skills)

Btw, above monti has totally recovered since I started dosing. This was how it looked back in March.

The other unhappy coral, a rainbow stylo, is almost back to 100%

The Jedi Mind Trick has become a bit of a monster and I've had to isolate the rock. I've circled the original frag I bought from WarDog Oct2016.

The Diablo has also put on good growth. Can't quite capture the colours. The entire canopy part is new growth.

Rainbow Loom is almost all bright yellow (doesn't show in photo). Not sure what I can do to get pink back. Pearlberry is nice though.

Cheato ball really needs to be harvested. Credit goes to Stanley's dedicated grooming. He goes over it like the Little Prince on his planet, carefully picking it over.

My latest additions. So lovely. Hope they don't break my heart...

Hope everyone is enjoying the summer!