View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 02:31 AM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

OK here is how to quickly and easily eradicate Purple Clove Polyps from your tank. Also it will eradicate Green Star Polyps, Anthelia, hydroids, and Xenia.

Other who have tested it have found it was harmless to all livestock (corals, mushrooms, fish, anemones, crabs, snails) in their tanks except it killed shrimp and some soft corals. In my tank various SPS, LPS, BTA's, mushrooms, snails and fish were not affected. I had no shrimp in the tank.

Before people complain about using chemicals in the tank I agree chemicals should be avoided, however in my case I had an Anthelia infestation that was refractory to all measures including local eradication, Sonic scrubber and anything else I tried despite zero phosphates and nitrates measured in the tank.

You can use AP fluke tabs. First I manually removed all the Xenia, Green Star Polyps and Anthelia that I could. Then I dissolved 1/2 a fluke tab in water and added it to my 120 gallon tank. Within a week all the Anthelia, GSP and Clove Polyps were gone and the hydroids (which had been a minor problem) disappeared as well. There were no signs at all of stress to the fish or corals. None of the pest species have come back except for the hydroids which have recurred in small numbers.

Before I did the 1/2 fluke tab treatment I first tried one one hundredth of a fluke tab (no effect) and then one tenth of a fluke tab (no effect). Others have reported that even a trace amount of a fluke tab (such as dipping a coral in fluke tab solution then returning the coral to the display tank without rinsing it off) would work. I didn't find that trace amounts of fluke tab worked.

I would recommend local eradication measures, kalk, one of the Aiptasia treatments if it works, or localized blackout to cover the polyps from the light before going with chemical warfare. But if nothing else works, the Fluke Tabs seem quite effective and safe.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge

Last edited by trilinearmipmap; 07-26-2010 at 02:33 AM.