View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Well, time to add the lastest steps in my LED build.

One of the challenges of doing U-Channel was how to cool it (if it needed it). I don't know that I will require cooling but I've planned for it none the less. The clusters of LED's on the large 4" channel will build the most heat and so I've put double the fans in there.

It was a real bugger to figure out how to attach the fans...finally found this PVC channel that I could cut down and screw to the aluminum to provide some real surface for the fans to screw down to. Not uber pretty...but no-one will see that part of the light anyways.

Then I had the challenge of not wanting too much noise. The 6 smaller channels are spread out so I only wanted one fan to cover each side group. Found this 22cm fan at Newegg...covers the whole area and will blow through the gaps to gently cool the area between the splash guard and the Lenses. These fans push over 100cfm and are dead silent.

You can vaguely see the fan here.

All of the fans will be controlled by a 5 channel fan controller. My plans are to mount the separate drivers into a PC box as decent sized project boxes are hard to come by in Canada. This will allow me to mount the fan controller as well and it should look cool.

Tonight I will start to run the wiring between the LED's.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.