View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 07:02 PM

jostafew is on a distinguished road

I also have a 20gal QT tank which held a Kole tang for a month before going into DT. In fact its condition improved during its stay in there. I have a very basic setup, PVC for the fish to hide in, heater, Bio-Wheel filter, small Koralia powerhead, CF light fixture. Same routine as you, take about 5 gal out of the DT and use it for water changes in the QT, done every week or so while there is livestock in there (less frequent when it's sitting dorment). During extended periods without livestock I just shut the QT down and move the filter over to the sump on the DT so it can maintain its bacterial population.

I think daplatapus hit it on the head, too big a bio-load too quick. I probably wouldn't have tried to QT all three of those fish at the same time in such a small tank, even with the good water change schedule. Sorry to hear that you lost those two tangs.

P.S. if anyone is looking at my signature and wondering if there is a Kole tang in a 35gal tank, rest easy as that was in a previous (larger) tank.

Last edited by jostafew; 03-17-2013 at 07:04 PM.