View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 03:18 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_bluejay View Post
Dare I even ask who the client is? I'm assuming some crown corp or other government agency.

Well, I guess that is what happens when you get over a certain size. I just hate getting those wannabe computer guys that say silly things like "Oh, you just install it on each machine by putting the CD in, and clicking next,next,next,finish on each machine" and trying to explain why that does work on a large scale.
We acutally run diskless clients (fat clients) for everything now. It really makes backups much easier to do, as every machines gets a full nightly backup every night, going back a full year+.
I avoid GPO, PDC's and most of the windows based stuff now, as it is just too much of a pain. On the plus side, I no longer have to deal with any more Novell netware either

Sorry for the hijack.
Probably shouldn't name client. Ya, you can't go around to that many boxes with a CD - lol. We used RIS images for our XP deployments, and with Vista we built an image using the WAIK tools. Real easy to add HW packs for new models, so our entire OS base fits on a USB key. Way more complex, with multiple runs using more powershell commands than I care to read, but much better than RIS. We also run some thin clients (Wise) connecting to Citrix servers. We don't back up PCs, all data needs to live on the lan. It's fun, and everyday is a new challenge
My main job right now is managing group policy, login scripts and image "issues". And like you, I haven't had to play with Novell in years!