View Single Post
Old 01-08-2016, 02:39 AM

NU-2reef is on a distinguished road

Glasses are a pain but I think your main problem are the polycarbonate lenses. The material itself is less superior to a normal high index plastic lens. Nikon makes a 1.74 index lens which basically means a thinner and clearer lens. Polycarbonate has an index value of 1.586 and no matter how the company labels their product polycarbonate is polycarbonate.

Your prescription isn't very high. I have -4.50 prescription which isn't too far off of yours and I've been wearing contacts for the past 17 years along with glasses. Can I ask if you know if you have an astigmatism? That would be the second number on your prescription underneath the "cyl" column. A high or irregular astigmatism may change my opinion.

I would encourage you to try a soft lens first before using gas perm lenses. For ease of use and care as well as comfort. Many brands have lenses that allow more oxygen through the lens and are disposable daily, weekly or monthly depending on what you prefer.
Gas perms require more delicate care and must be fit by someone with a great deal of knowledge as it has to match the curvature of your cornea to achieve the most comfort and stability. Really I could go on for ever but I'm probably gonna bore you with lame facts. So I recommend you to go soft lens and go from there.