Thread: cutting tank
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2014, 04:10 AM

Masonjames is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Well, I'm not a professional (glass cutter that is) & am not dealing with a flat piece of glass. Neither is the OP. Maybe in a year or so, I'll give it a go & report back. In the meantime it would be great if someone that's actually tried this would chime in.

I have cut down three tanks for use in sump, ato and frag tank. I did however use a simple glass cutter, snap into tank pane by pane after cutting silicone out to cut height.

Cutting with a wet saw will most certainly cut glass. However by hand on a four foot long pane you will probably get 75-90% of the way through then it will most likely break. Why I suggested scoring it prior. An initial score may keep a break controlled. It may not. But for a sump to reuse a tank you already have, sure give it a shot if you want. I can't promise you won't break it, and a good chance you will but it's your tank, have fun with it if you want. Even a grinder with a dry diamond blade can cut a tank in half. Just play safe. I'm sure I don't need to tell you glass is sharp.