Thread: RuralReef 2.1
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 04:18 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Final Dimensions and Plans:

Main Display: 42l x 10w x 11d = 20 gallons.
I had planned to make the tank 10" deep, but I worry that I won't be able to get the wave action I want without overflowing a relatively full tank (I want the full 10" depth available). The extra depth is to accommodate the surge, while maintaining a full 10" depth of water between surges. The actual water volume of the display area will be 15 gallons.

I had also planned to make the tank 36" long, but now I can have a full 6" catchment chamber on the end of the tank for the circulation pump and a slow response ATO.

Secondary Display: 24 x 10 x 10 = 10.39 gallons
This tank will be fed from the catchment chamber on the main display. The overflow of this tank will serve as the media (carbon and filter floss) chamber, which will further overflow into the CSD chamber.

Bubble Breaker / Chaeto Vortex: 10 x 8 x 12 = 4.15 gallons
This tank will serve as a place for bubbles to have a chance to break (much needed IMO), while simultaneously giving the water a wide pouring sort of flow, and providing ideal conditions for Chaeto growth. The Chaeto will sit in sort of a kriesel which will roll the algae with every surge. The heater will also reside in this tank, which will overflow into the Main Display.

Recirculating Skimmer: 24 tall, 4 square = 1.66 gallons
This will technically also be a tank, so I'm including it here in my build list. This will be fed around 30 gph from the circulation pump, and will simply gravity return to the Bubble Breaker. I have a modded Rio 800 RV that will work awesome here.

TOTAL: 36.2 gallons filled to the brim, and without rock or water. I've managed to maximize my gallonage without going over the 40 gallon limit

Lighting: 4 x T5HO 24W
Workhorse 5 ballast
2 x ATI Blue+
1 x GE 6500K Daylight
1 x Something else. Maybe a Super Actinic or a Fiji Purple.

Circulation Pump: At least 500 gph @ 2 ft.
I want a really quick (1 second) surge every four seconds. The surge won't have to be large, but the pump will need to provide at least 30x turnover... probably more, like 45x turnover. I was looking at the Tunze Silence pump for 30x. I can go up to the Mag 950, but I'll have to throttle it back somewhat... I have been told I can throttle back a pump around 25% safely, so I can get down to around 750 gph and I will add a bypass for some secondary circulation within the tank. Whatever I choose, I need it to fit in a 6" (or so) space.

So that's where I stand. No changes will be made beyond this, this is the final plan... now I have to make them work together