View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 06:24 AM

Madmak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylMcKay View Post
How far should the water fall? My internal measurements for depth of the tank, is 21". I was thinking the over flow would be 12" deep with 1-11/2 " for the egg crate. The fall to the bulk head will be 10 1/2 to 11 ".

I am thinking my overall dimensions will be 48"x 7" x 12"? I was thinking 7" as my Euro-bracing is about 3" wide, and this will allow me to get my hand in.

Thoughts?
The water doesn't really need to fall very far at all. The farther it falls the louder it is.

My overflow is also 48" wide, but is 5" wide and 5" deep, just enough room for the plumbing really. I used 2 rows of eggcrate at the top which is plenty. With an overflow that wide you need to place it only 1/4" or so lower than the desired water level in the tank, it will take on a large volume of water easily.

With two drains I would make one a full siphon with a gate valve and an emergency. They would look like the two right-most drains in this pic.

Yours would come through bulkheads on the bottom instead but a down turned elbow on the full siphon and an up turned elbow on the emergency is the quietest.

My suggestion is to make it as small as possible as mine seems to take up a lot of space even at 5"x5". Maybe 7"Wx 5"D is best for you considering your eurobrace.

You will love the surface skimming from a large overflow like that, it works great.

This is a pic of mine in operation.

And a few when building.