Thread: Herd of horses
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2005, 03:48 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

For corals, my seahorses loved hanging onto corky finger (photosyn. gorgonian). They also liked prolifera (macroalgae). Seahorses like to be fed often, which makes for high nutrients in the water (a good reason to not to put most types of corals in SH tanks). Zoos should be ok because they seem to thrive in high nutrient tanks.

I don't have a proper tank set up for seahorses right now, so my buddy cc_bruno is trying to breed mine with his ponies I would recommend to anyone even considering getting SHs to set up a tank several months ahead of time to allow the pod/mysis population to build up. Its horrible how many times people buy "frozen mysis eating captive-bred seahorses" and take them home, just to have their new prized horses not eat frozen mysis. If a refugium is plumbed in-line, that would make it even better. Having a healthy pod population is just good insurance in case the stress of transport (even from the LFS to your tank) throws the SHs off their feed.

If your SHs aren't eating frzn foods, then you can order ghost shrimp or mysis or other live foods off the net, but that gets crazy expensive real fast. Another reason why SHs are really not a good choice for most reefers. Also, if you only have time to feed once a day, your ponies will probably starve over time.

In the last couple of months, I've had plenty of opportunity to Buy SHs, but resisted the temptation because I'm not really set up for them right now. Love 'em but I'm trying to follow my own advice.

Anthony (SeaHorseless_Fanatic )