View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 08:47 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

The size of the tank in the picture was kind of my idea of a joke but the location is still good.

You really gotta sit down and think about what you want from this tank, that is if you're actually going to do it. A 6 foot tank no matter how you do it is probably going to cost more than your TV or any piece of art work you put up. If all you're looking for is something to work on as a hobby in your spare time then location isn't that important but if your main goal is to ultimately have something nice to look at then location is key. The main thing I like about my tank is sitting back and looking at it, nothing else compares to how relaxing and beautiful it is to me. That's why when I put my tank up I didn't care that it was a little intrusive and took up living space. I just wanted it where I spend most of my time so I could actually enjoy the fruits of my labor. I think most reefers will agree.

If space is limited then reexamine the size of the tank. A four foot tank will fit better in more locations and ultimately take up less space. I think you have a lot more better options for placement than the hallway. You could even do an in wall setup like this:

I'd bet this would better in every way. It doesn't take up living space, only storage which could be made up with a closet in the hallway or under the stairs. It's also close to the water heater which I believes means a floor drain is close. It's also be easier to light and maintain since it'll be closer to the 4 foot mark.

Something to think about at least.